I came across this article today which that basically said Facebook is to blame for a whopping one out of every five divorces. What the article doesn’t explain is why Facebook causes divorce. Here are the five top reasons why Facebook gets married couples in trouble.
1. It is easy to get caught in a photo with another woman thanks to Facebook’s tagging system. Thanks to tagging, I got to look at all of my husband’s photos, including the one where he was dancing with another girl at some party. If you are cheating, and someone tags you in a photo with another woman because they thought she was your wife, you’re busted.
2. The random ‘friends’. When you join Facebook, people from your past start “friending” you. Your husband now has a bunch of women friends who you don’t know, and just like the Energizer Bunny, they keep coming and coming. This causes nothing but drama for married folks.
3. Your former relationships always seek you out on Facebook and friend you. Again, this spells nothing but trouble for a marriage.
4. Some women who have friended your husband don’t get the fact that he is married. They’ll post flirtatious comments on his Wall, drama drama, and more drama.
5. Facebook makes it easy for the other woman to contact you. You don’t have to be friends with someone to message them. My husband was smart enough not to friend the person he was sleeping with, but she was smart enough to message me via Facebook with all the details of the affair.
The bizarre thing is that these five things will cause problems without your wife even knowing your password! I know one couple that doesn’t even use Facebook because of the drama, and I think that’s pretty smart. Then again, I know another married couple that won’t friend each other because of the potential drama.
And cheating men – might not want to friend the OW. The minute she gets mad at you, she has the power to embarrass you, your friends and your wife’s friend via a public setting. Not cool at all.